Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Ileana's platanos recipe - you must try it!

I was talking to our Spanish teacher, Ileana about the plantains served with many meals in Costa Rica, and complained that I had not had much luck cooking them myself.  Here's her recipe for a baked plantain dish that can be used as part of the main course, or even eaten as a desert depending on how sweet you make it.

Ileana's Recipe:


- Take ripe plantains and split in half lengthwise;  put cut side down in a lightly greased cake pan.

- Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar (to taste) and add a few dots of butter.   (After some experimentation, I decided to melt the butter in the microwave, mix in the sugar and spoon over the plantain after liberally sprinkling them with cinnamon).

- Pour in a large glass of milk (don't cover the plaintain) - I use about a cup.

- Cover with shredded white cheese (the bagged pizza mix works well). 

- Bake in a 350 degree oven until the milk disappears.

This is definitely not a diet dish.  I make it every week or two when we have a "home" day and I'm roasting some kind of meat. Two plantains lasts us two to three meals, depending on what else I'm serving.  It's a wonder we haven't gained weight here.

Pura Vida!

No comments:

Post a Comment